If you are like most contractors, you have never heard of USL&H, but it doesn’t mean that you can clean ignorance if an accident does happen. USL&H stands for “United States Longshoreman and Harborworkers Act. USL&H provides Workers Compensation Insurance to “Maritime employers.” This Workers Comp coverage is mandatory for companies that have employees that work on, above, near or around water. Just because you don’t feel that you have an exposure, doesn’t mean that you don’t need USL&H.

Since USL&H falls under the federal labor system, employees tend to see better benefits than under the state system. Therefore, an injured employee who has the option may lean toward pursuing federal remedies. These benefits are based on the wage loss and the employee’s post-injury earning capacity.

E-WorkersComp.net has expert on hand to deal with your unique coverage needs. We have over 30 years experience to bring you exceptional service, and creative solutions to help with your Maritime Workers Comp needs.

What Qualifies Under USL&H Coverage?

  • You employees must be a maritime employee as defined under the USL&H.
  • The injury must occur as a location under the jurisdiction of the USL&H

What businesses need USL&H Coverage?
(Not a Complete List)

  • Shipbuilding and Repair
  • Marina Operators
  • Marine Construction
  • Boat Service and Repair Contractors
  • Dock and Pier Contractors
  • Bridge Building Contractors
  • Bridge Painters
  • Fisherman
  • Fishing Tour Services
  • Ski Rental Companies
  • Scuba Diving Trainers
  • Offshore Oil Workers
  • Passenger Vessels
  • Ship Cleaning

Artisan, Service or Building Contractors
that may need USL&H:

  • Heating and A/C Contractors
  • Engine Repair
  • Fire Extinguisher Servicing
  • Sheet Metal Work
  • Architects and Engineers
  • Refrigeration Repair
  • Pest Control
  • Carpentry
  • Electricians
  • Welders
  • Painters
  • Wallboard Installation
  • Communications Repair
  • Crane Installations and Repair
  • Concrete / Cement Work